A Rejuvenated Appearance Around the Eyes
The eyes are the first place we look when talking with someone. And nothing gives away the effects of age and gravity than droopy, tired eyes or bags under the eyes. Excess fat, wrinkles and hooded lids creates a fatigued and older look.
With eyelid surgery, medically known as a blepharoplasty, Dr. Mihail COJOCARU can help rejuvenate the appearance surrounding the eyes, improving the appearance of the upper eyelids, lower eyelids or both. This provides patients with a more youthful, rested and more alert look.
Dr. Mihail COJOCARU can perform both upper and lower blepharoplasty:
Upper eyelid surgery involves the removal of excessively stretched skin that can cause multiple wrinkles or hooding on to the eyelash line. If there is an underlying droopiness of the lid, a muscle repair can be performed through the incision at the same time.
During surgery on the lower eyelid, Dr. Mihail COJOCARU will redistribute the fat within the lower eyelid, which removes the appearance of bags and under-eye puffiness.The most suitable form of blepharoplasty will depend on where stretched skin and excess fatty deposits are located around the eyes. As an expert in facial anatomy, Dr. Harceaga will determine the best approach during your consultation.
Asian Blepharoplasty Surgery
Approximately 50% of Asians are born without a visible upper eyelid crease – a fold in the area just above the eyelashes. Dr. Mihail COJOCARU offers an “Asian eyelid” blepharoplasty procedure that helps create a natural looking crease on the upper eyelid, creating an improved shape. This surgery is also called double eyelid surgery.
It’s important to note that there is a difference between Asian and Caucasian eyelids, both in size and in shape. The Caucasian lid crease is about 20% larger than an Asian eyelid crease, and also tapers closer to the eyelashes as the fold goes outward. Dr. Mihail COJOCARU ’s goal with Asian eyelid surgery is not to give a westernised appearance to an Asian face; but rather, to create a crease that looks completely natural.
There are two types of eyelid surgery that will create an eyelid crease:
- Closed thread/suture technique:
This uses sutures to create a crease in the eyelid by creating a depression in the skin, by attaching the skin to some of the deeper structures located within the eyelid.
- Open incision technique:
In this procedure the skin is cut and a new skin crease is made by attaching the cut edges of the skin to the deeper structures of the eyelid.
The most common method of creating the crease is known as the double sutures and twisting method, or DST. The DST procedure involves creating a fold by pinching together the underside of the eyelid skin and stitching it in place. The doctor may also trim the web of skin that overlaps the corner of the eye. This skin is more prominent in patients of Asian descent.
Dr. Mihail COJOCARU will determine the best type of surgical procedure for your Asian eyelid surgery at the time of your consultation.
Why Eyelid Surgery?
There are various reasons for having eyelid surgery, and Dr. Harceaga has extensive experience creating revitalised and rejuvenated upper and lower eyelids for patients. The reasons for wanting blepharoplasty include:
- Hooded eyelids: Having excess upper eyelid skin can lead to hooded lids, which give the appearance of tiredness and fatigue. At the extreme, hooded eyelids can even obscure vision.
- Bags under the eyes: As we grow older, we often develop bags underneath our eyes. It is usually caused by excessive stretching of the lower eyelid layers, and is a problem that is easily reversed with blepharoplasty.
- Sagging skin and wrinkles under the eyes: Laxity of the skin and tissue under the eyes gives an aged appearance, and blepharoplasty is used to smooth the wrinkles.
- Heavy, droopy eyes: Eyelids that have excessive amounts of fat can make you look tired all the time. This fat can be extracted during the surgery, leaving you with a more alert appearance.
Are You a Candidate for Blepharoplasty?
Eyelid surgery with Dr. Mihail COJOCARU will leave you with a more youthful appearance. It’s a common procedure for both Asian people, as well as patients age 30 and older, used to repair the effects of aging skin. As we get older, the skin loses it’s elasticity, and when you add in the effects of gravity, excessive skin begins collecting in the upper eyelids, which causes drooping eyelids. For lower eyelids, age causes loosening of the skin and the underlying muscle.
Good candidates for eyelid surgery are adult men and women who have healthy facial tissue and muscles. In addition, candidates for this procedure should have realistic goals as to what the surgery can accomplish.
Candidates for eyelid surgery include healthy patients who have:
- Puffiness around the eyes that make you look older than you actually are.
- Hooded eyelids that make you look permanently fatigued, even if you are full of energy.
- Hooded eyelids that are affecting your eyesight and your ability to see
In addition, you should:
- Be physically healthy
- Have no serious eye conditions
- Stop smoking at least two weeks before your procedure
Complementary Procedure: Eyebrow Lift
Some patients have a forehead, or eyebrow lift, at the same time as eyelid surgery. The eyebrow lift helps to minimise the creases that occur across the forehead, or those that appear high on the bridge of the nose. It also helps to reposition low or sagging eyebrows.
Unlike eyelid surgery alone, the brow lift offers the patient a more youthful appearance of the eyebrows, along with a more rested appearance of the upper face and eye area. There are several types of eyebrow lifts procedures available, including:
- Open brow lift: This procedures uses one continuous incision, that begins at the level of your ears and goes up and around the hairline.
- Endoscopic lift: This is a minimally invasive procedure that uses small incisions in the scalp, resulting in minimal scarring.
- Browpexy: A procedure that adjusts the brow position using an eyelid incision. This is a great procedure when done at the same time as the upper eyelid surgery.
- Direct brow lift: A procedure which involves making a small incision directly above the eyebrows and is ideal for older patients with wrinkles on their foreheads.
Most patients recover within two weeks, and it may take several weeks to see the final results of an eyebrow lift. Dr. Mihail COJOCARU will discuss the procedure with you, and determine if you’re a candidate to have this surgery along with eyelid surgery.
What Can You Expect With Blepharoplasty
The best way to determine if a blepharoplasty (and any complementary procedures) is right for you is to have an initial consultation with Dr. Harceaga. You will have an opportunity to discuss your goals and expectations about the surgery with the doctor, and ask any relevant questions that you may have.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Mihail COJOCARU.
- Review your medical history and any medications you are taking
- Discuss the procedure and any related procedures
- Provide recommendations that are based on your needs and goals
The most suitable form of blepharoplasty will depend on where stretched skin and excess fatty deposits are located around the eyes. As an expert in facial anatomy, Dr. Mihail COJOCARU will determine the best approach during your consultation.
Find out more
You can find out more about eyelid surgery on our blog pages. At „ ESTET & GYN ” Clinic of Plastic Surgery and Aesthetic Surgery from Timisoara, Romania, we have a number of plastic surgeons experienced in eyelid surgery. To book a free consultation, please call us on +40356177771 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively, please fill out the contact box below and a member of our team will get in touch with you.
To book your free personalised eyelid surgery consultation: